Please contact our Office Clerk, Zappard Jones-Lemons for Attendance, Enrollment, and Registration

[email protected]

 (619) 605-2400 ext. 3020

General Enrollment Information

Neighborhood Schools and Enrollment Options

UTK Enrollment for 2024-2025

Please see the District webpage for current information regarding enrolling for UTK (Universal Transitional Kindergarten) by clicking here. There are workshops on ZOOM coming on January 10 and January 11 for information about the enrollment process. More information on the District website.

When Can I Enroll my Child in Kindergarten?

New Law Changes Kindergarten Entry-Age in California

The Kindergarten Readiness Act, signed into law in 2010, is a historic reform to kindergarten education that gives California an unparalleled opportunity to ensure that our state's youngest children are better prepared to succeed in kindergarten and beyond. The Kindergarten Readiness Act, SB 1381 by Senator Simitian, changed the kindergarten entry date from December 2nd to September 1st, so children enter kindergarten at age 5.

Children must be 5 years old on or by September 1st to enroll in kindergarten for the school year. Children who are applying for Transitional Kindergarten must turn 5 between September 2nd and December 2nd of the school year.

Items Required to Enroll

  1. Child's immunization record (Kindergartners must have all required shots before starting school).

  2. Child's birth certificate

  3. One proof of address. Enrollment will not be complete and a classroom will not be assigned unless a proof of address is on file. The only acceptable documents are:

  • Photocopy of recent utility bill such as gas, electricity cable, phone (no cell)

  • Photocopy of a rental agreement

  • Photocopy of mortgage documents, deed to house or tax bill payment receipts, photocopy of military housing orders or lease agreement

If you are living with someone and do not have any of the required proof of address documents in your name, please provide the document in the name of the person with whom you live and include a letter written and signed my that person stating that you are living with him/her.

IEP/504 Plans

If your student currently has an IEP or 504 Plan, please bring it at the time of registration to expedite services.

Applying Through Choice

If you reside outside the boundaries of Chesterton Elementary School and wish to enroll your child at our school, you must submit an online application in order to have your child's name placed on a waiting list. Click the link below to be directed to the application.


Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2024 SchoolMessenger Corporation. All rights reserved.